Thursday, April 16, 2009

A, B, C!

I'm still exploring what I want the bounds of this blog to be. I know its possible for me to get entirely ridiculous (I definitely have the resources), but I'm not sure about just how ridiculous I want to be. One of the bonuses of working with children is that you never really have to grow up. And it's come to my attention that kid culture is so much cooler than it was when I was a that age. For most of elementary school, my wardrobe was made up of stirrup pants or soccer shorts and big tee shirts from vacation spots or summer camp. Now, kids have a choice of all sorts of things that look just like a mini version of adult clothes! (I'm not going to get in to whether or not this is a good thing, as I'm not really into a heated "growing up to fast" debate). Kids TV has gotten cooler, too. Sesame Street was always awesome, even if they did facilitate Elmo's hostile overthrow of the world. Musicians have always been guest stars, from Johnny Cash to Stevie Wonder, Paul Simon to REM. My personal favorite from my childhood was Smokey Robinson, singing "You Really Got a Hold on Me" with the visual accompaniment of a large, orange, very clingy U.


Sadly, at this stage in my life, past childhood and pre-children, I don't find much opportunity to watch Sesame Street, so I don't find out when they have great musical guest stars, until videos start to circulate the internet. I ran across this one last summer, an awesome rewrite of Feist's "1,2,3,4" performed by the woman herself. Oh, and it has chickens.



Feist on Sesame Street from Sundtrak on Vimeo.

And today, thanks to a college friends blog, all the funs, I was introduced to this awesome gem, a bouncy twist on the ABC song.


Tilly & the Wall on SESAME STREET from Team Love on Vimeo.
For those not familiar with Tilly and the wall, the back beat is tap dancing. And there is percussive tap dancing in every song.

I hope you've all enjoyed this video interlude. I can't promise anything resembling regular updates until after graduation, so I hope you are all willing to check back later.

1 comment:

Amber said...

U Really Got A Hold On Me is one of my all time favorites, along with "The Story of Bert's Blanket."

So, so great.